by Jennifer Hughes
When I began working for the Rapides Parish Library, I was awestruck by the number of services and resources that we offer the community. One of the services we offer is homebound delivery through the Outreach department. Early in my time at the Library, I spent an afternoon with our Outreach delivery staff and made a trip to one of our patron’s homes. The patron was excited to receive her Library items and made it clear that she loved to read cozy mysteries. However, she seemed just as pleased to have a bit of company.
For a few minutes, I experienced the joy and fulfillment that our Outreach staff enjoys every day. Those minutes inspired me to inform our community about this wonderful service and the opportunity it provides. If you have a long-term illness or disability that causes you to be homebound, then trying the Rapides Parish Library Homebound Delivery service might be the right solution for you! It may be difficult to meet your educational, informational, and entertainment needs, but your library makes the process fun, easy, and accessible.
The RPL Outreach department has been delivering library items and warm smiles to homebound patrons in Rapides Parish for over ten years, establishing a strong community service and providing patrons with the joy of feeling like they have their own personal librarian.
As a homebound patron, you will receive a bundle of ten library items every two weeks based on your preferences. The library items can be chosen by the Outreach staff based on author or genre. However, if you have specific titles that you prefer, they may be requested over the phone or Library website (https://www.rpl.org).
How to get started:
· Contact Londa Price at 318-445-2411 x 1066 or firstname.lastname@example.org
· If you do not have an RPL Library card, the Outreach Department will issue one to you.
· A friendly staff member will collect information about specific items, authors, or genres that you prefer.
· You will receive a confirmation phone call one day before delivery and be able to receive 10 new Library items every two weeks.
· All safety precautions are being taken during the COVID-19 Pandemic with contactless delivery.
If you or a loved one feel that the Rapides Parish Library Homebound Delivery service might be right for you, we invite you to give it a try. We will deliver the Library to you!