Brought To You By Rapides Parish Library
Snuggling up with an enjoyable book is a fantastic way to spend a cold and rainy afternoon. We have so many afternoons like that at this time of year. Some of the bibliophiles in our neighborhoods are prepared for these rainy afternoon reading situations with a to-be-read book pile that is a mile high and a book at arm’s length away no matter where they are. We are not mentioning any names, but we spotted one bibliophile in the Huie-Delmon House in downtown Alexandria. She was identified by her purse, which held 6 books and weighed fifteen pounds. She proudly carried the bag knowing that she would be prepared for any reading opportunity that occurred. Meanwhile, there is the rest of us.
If you are often caught off guard and unprepared for rainy-day reads and need a book list to help prepare for excellent reading opportunities, look at 2022’s top fiction and nonfiction book/e-book checkouts for adults, teens, and elementary-aged children in Rapides Parish!
• Sparring Partners by John Grisham,
• Escape by James Patterson and David Ellis,
• Shattered by James Patterson and James O. Born,
• 22 Seconds by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro,
• Death of the Black Widow by James Patterson and J.D. Barker.
• How We Got Over: Growing up in the Segregated South: A Collection of Narratives by Dr. Helen Benjamin, editor, and Jean Nash Johnson, coeditor,
• Finding Me by Viola Davis,
• Dr. Mary’s Monkey: How the Unsolved Murder of a Doctor, a Secret Laboratory in New Orleans and Cancer-Causing Monkey Viruses are Linked to Lee Harvey Oswald, the JFK Assassination and Emerging Global Epidemics by Edward T. Haslam,
• Killing the Mob: The Fight Against Organized Crime in America by Bill O’Reilly and Martin Dugard
• Amish Community Cookbook: Simply Delicious Recipes from Amish and Mennonite Homes by Carole Roth Giagnocavo with contributions from Amish and Mennonite families across North America; editor, Katie Weeber.
• The Maze Runner by James Dashner,
• The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins,
• The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky,
• The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins,
• The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen.
• Chasing Lincoln’s Killer by James L. Swanson,
• In the Shadow of Liberty: The Hidden History of Slavery, Four Presidents, and Five Black Lives by Kenneth C. Davis,
• Unpunished Murder: The Colfax Massacre and the Supreme Court by Lawrence Goldstone.
• Chasing King’s Killer: The Hunt for Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Assassin by James L. Swanson,
• DC Ultimate Character Guide by Melanie Scott.
• Dog Man: Fetch-22 by Dav Pilkey,
• Dog Man: Brawl of the Wild written and illustrated by Dav Pilkey as George Beard and Harold Hutchins,
• Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Third Wheel by Jeff Kinney,
• Dog Man: Lord of the Fleas written and illustrated by Dav Pilkey as George Beard and Harold Hutchins,
• Dog Man and Cat Kid written and illustrated by Dav Pilkey as George Beard and Harold Hutchins.
• World Almanac Library of the States,
• Ripley’s Believe It or Not!: Beyond the Bizarre! by Geoff Tibballs,
• German Shepherds and other Herding Dogs by Karen Ingebretsen,
• LEGO Play Book: Ideas to Bring Your Bricks to Life by Daniel Lipkowitz,
• Lions and Other Wild Cats by Steven A. Horak, Beginner Fiction
• Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss,
• I Can Read, Too by Dave and Pat Sargeant,
• Pete the Cat and the Bad Banana by James Dean,
• One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss,
• Fly Guy & Fly Girl: Night Fright by Tedd Arnold.
If you need a library card to check out 2022’s top books in Rapides Parish or any other library materials you may visit your local branch or visit our website at https://www.rpl.org to apply for a virtual library card!